Pages


Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ultra Sound for IPS: 12 Weeks, Day 6

This ultra sound is a part of the Integrated Prenatal Screening for down syndrome. The technician has to take three pictures of the baby's neck. The neck can't be tucked in or tilted back. My little fetus kept moving around, doing the worm on its tummy, and tilting its head down. Here is how it all went down:

We left for St. Paul's at 1:45. My stomach was full of water and I had to pee. Check! We got to St. Paul's at 2 and waited until 2:30 to be called in. During this time I drank two more glasses of water. The longest I can hold my pee right now is about one class - 1 hour and 20 minutes. I last peed at 1pm. By 2:30 I was in pain! I got up and sloshed from one foot to the other doing a pee pee dance. 

The technician called me in and asked if I could pee a little bit. He gave me a nice sized cup and said I could fill it half full. YAY!!! Woo hoo!!! 

Then the game to take a picture of my baby's spine began. 

Lay on the bed. Unbutton. Tuck towel into underwear. Squirt slime on belly. Poke, roll, hammer, and press lower abdomen. 

Nothing. 

Wipe slime. Go pee. Come back. Repeat. 

AND... repeat... and repeat.. and put pillow under butt... and repeat... and repeat... and just over an hour later (for a 45 minute scheduled appointment) we are DONE! 

It was great for Jonny. He got to sit and see the screen. I got the screen shown to me a couple of times but for the most part I was staring at the ceiling or watching Jonny's face light up. (with a smile and once literally while he texted my mom.) 

I have learned a couple of things today. I don't like to hold my pee and I think I have a stubborn, wiggly baby growing inside of me! Check out the pics that the technician worked hard to get: 


These top two are the same. 
 Head shot
 Skull face! 

 Heartbeat

No comments:

Post a Comment